Low Back Exercises
1. SQUATS – Goal: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Keep your chest up
- Bend at the knees to a squatting position, be sure not to extend your knees past your toes
- Begin by squatting to a chair for support
2. PUSH UPS – Goal: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Keeping the body/back straight engage your core, lower the body to the floor and back up
- Try this exercise on your knees, or against a wall as a modification.
3. PLANKS – Goal: 3 sets hold for 20-30 seconds
- Rest elbows on the ground and keep the body stiff, and tighten the core. Be mindful not arch your back.
- Modification: Begin with knees on the floor or standing with elbows on the wall or on a low counter.
4. HIP ABDUCTION – Goal: 3 sets of 15-20 reps each leg
- Standing lift one leg at a time out to the side keeping the core tight
- You can also do this laying on your side on the ground and lifting the leg up
5. HIP RAISES – Goal: 3 sets of 15-20 reps
- Lay flat on the ground with the feet planted
- Push upwards with feet and tighten the buttock so your hips raise off the ground
- As you get better pause and hold at the top for a few seconds
6. HIGH KNEE WALKING – Goal: 3 sets of 20-30 reps each leg
- Standing in place raise knee towards chest
- Keep chest upright and core tight
7. LEG CROSS OVER STRETCH – Goal: 5-10 each leg, hold for 5-10 seconds
- Lay flat on your back with your arms to your side
- With your legs extended, keep one leg straight and cross the other leg over/across your body
- It may be helpful to have a partner apply slight pressure on your leg to ensure a deep stretch
- Repeat on the opposite side
8. BIRD DOG – Goal: 3 sets hold for 20-30 seconds
- Begin on all fours with your hands directly underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips
- Pull your abs into your spine – engage your core – flat back
- Keep your back and pelvis still and stable – reach your right arm forward and your left arm back.
**Please do not hesitate to call the office with questions 860.872.6229**