Low Back Exercises
One of the most conservative options for low back pain is proactive stretching and exercising. Here are eight great exercises to help with low back pain relief.
1. SQUATS – Goal: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Keep your chest up
- Bend at the knees to a squatting position, be sure not to extend your knees past your toes
- Begin by squatting to a chair for support
2. PUSH UPS – Goal: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Keeping the body/back straight engage your core, lower the body to the floor and back up
- Try this exercise on your knees, or against a wall as a modification.
3. PLANKS – Goal: 3 sets hold for 20-30 seconds
- Rest elbows on the ground and keep the body stiff, and tighten the core. Be mindful not arch your back.
- Modification: Begin with knees on the floor or standing with elbows on the wall or on a low counter.
4. HIP ABDUCTION – Goal: 3 sets of 15-20 reps each leg
- Standing lift one leg at a time out to the side keeping the core tight
- You can also do this laying on your side on the ground and lifting the leg up
5. HIP RAISES – Goal: 3 sets of 15-20 reps
- Lay flat on the ground with the feet planted
- Push upwards with feet and tighten the buttock so your hips raise off the ground
- As you get better pause and hold at the top for a few seconds
6. HIGH KNEE WALKING – Goal: 3 sets of 20-30 reps each leg
- Standing in place raise knee towards chest
- Keep chest upright and core tight
7. LEG CROSS OVER STRETCH – Goal: 5-10 each leg, hold for 5-10 seconds
- Lay flat on your back with your arms to your side
- With your legs extended, keep one leg straight and cross the other leg over/across your body
- It may be helpful to have a partner apply slight pressure on your leg to ensure a deep stretch
- Repeat on the opposite side
8. BIRD DOG – Goal: 3 sets hold for 20-30 seconds
- Begin on all fours with your hands directly underneath your shoulders and your knees underneath your hips
- Pull your abs into your spine – engage your core – flat back
- Keep your back and pelvis still and stable – reach your right arm forward and your left arm back.
**Please do not hesitate to call the office with questions 860.872.6229**
If you are one of the many people suffering from neck pain, chronic lower back pain, scoliosis, sciatica or another spine-related condition, you will be in great hands at Connecticut Back Center (CBC). CBC was founded by Jesse Eisler, MD, PhD, in 2005 and with offices in Vernon and Bloomfield, CT serves the Greater Hartford and Central Connecticut area. Our mission is to provide accurate, responsive and effective spinal care with comprehensive non-surgical and surgical treatments for the full spectrum of spinal disorders. Our goal is always to reduce your pain, increase your flexibility and help you resume an active life after treatment. To learn more about your treatment options, give us a call at (860) 872-6229 or request an appointment online now.